Thursday, December 15, 2005
Laurie Ann posted pics of the butterfly fabrics she collected and asked for ideas of what pattern to use them in that will showcase the butterflies. I suggested Square-in-a-square as a possible setting.
This made me think about the SNS blocks I started this summer. I'd been cutting bunches of scraps and older small cuts into strips and squares (ala Bonnie). I got tired of cutting and wanted to sew something. So I started pulling all my single nickles. Then I dug thru the pairs one at a time and looked thru the singles to see if there was something that looked pretty good with it. I didn't over obsess it but didn't want the fabrics within a square to totally clash with each other. I took the pairs and cut them in half diagonally. I sewed those to the singles into SNS blocks. I then trimmed them down to a uniform size. The blocks on the left of the pic are before trimming down. The ones on the right are ready to sew together. I made LOTS of these blocks - over 200 if I remember correctly. I sorted those into 3 piles. Pastelly ones for a baby quilt. Darker thimbleberrish/1800 repro-ish ones for a full size quilt and bright ones for a nap size one. The pastel one will have the blocks set together without sashing. The brights will be set with black sashing and bright corner stones. I haven't decided yet for the other one.