I'm still plodding along with my sewing room clean/sort/reorganizitation. But I did take some time off this weekend to get a little sewing in. Not my wonky village as I want to use batik for that and those are sitll boxed up.
I received as part of a Christmas gift exchange a group of 5 FQs that ranged from med pink to deep burgundy. I immediately thought of valentines day and had planned to make some kind of heart quilt. And that's about as far as it went until I had to go to JoAnns the other day for thread and rotary cutter blades. As I was browsing the fabric aisles (OK, dangerous I know but I couldn't help myself!) I saw these cute FQs - white with tiny hearts in all shades of pink/reds and little chartreuse dots. For some reason it made me think of the pink/red FQs I'd received at Christmas. Hmmmmm, would make a nice background for a small valentines quilt. They only had this print in FQs so I bought 4. Then right next to it was a deep pink with red/pink/chartreuse dots. Hhmmmm, would make a nice border/go-with for the other FQs. So I bought 4. Now remember these were legal purchases as they were "B"ackground and "B"orders. And they were on sale for 99c per FQ making them another "B" word - "B"argain! LOL
Friday night I decided to play so I pulled out my FQs and layed them all out on the table. Ooh, looked great together just like I thought they would. But kinda flat with all the pink/white. Much "sweeter" than I usually work with. So remembering the chartreuse dot in the background and border fabrics I started diggin thru my stash to see what I could come up with to give them a little punch. Found 2+yds of chartrueuse that looked pretty good with the pink/reds so I also will use this for the backing and maybe the binding too. It really is a much nicer color in person than in the photo. Nice and bright without being neon-bright.
So now what to make? I really at this point didn't feel like doing hearts or even putting a lot of effort into a new project so I went with an old standby. In the past whenever I've gone thru a period of no sewing and got to the point where I just had to sew or go nuts I almost always make a 9 patch. Nice, simple pattern that always looks great and usually gets me over my sewing slump. So I decided this would make a great 9 patch and snowball. That way I could use the green as the corners on the snowballs and give it the little bit of punch I was looking for without that color overpowering the pink/reds.
Not sure what I feel about it when I finished it. Not exactly what I was going for but I think I like it. David didn't! Asked what I was going to do with it. I said, don't know, it's served it's purpose in getting me sewing again so I really don't care. It's a nice throw size (42X54) so I'll probably put it aside for the next time I need a "girl" quilt. I might use it for hand-quilting practise first. The snowballs would look great with a feathered heart in them.
And it did serve it's purpose as I pulled another group of FQs Sat. morning and paired them with a red for the background and am now working on another throw size that is much more "me". You'll have to wait until I finish for pictures of that one. Maybe tomorrow night as I'm going to go work on it some more once I publish this.
BTW, after I left JoAnns I figured, what the heck and made the rounds of Hancocks, Hobby Lobby and my LQS. I really was pretty good though. Just bought a few fabrics for a swap (I'm the hostess so really figured I should also participate) at Hobby Lobby, nothing at Hancocks and a few more swap fabrics, a new cat print and a purse pattern at the LQS. Oh and 4 FQs from the bargain barrel. Believe me in the past this round would have cost me several hundred $$$. I think I spent a total of around $75 between all 4 shops and that included the thread and blades I originally went for so not bad at all.
I've stomped all over my "goals" for this year so now I'm just playing and not worrying about it at all. I am at least finishing what I start (to top stage) so at least I haven't broken the "no new UFOs" one. Yet. LOL!