Nothing bought today. :-) That's real easy when I haven't set foot outside the house except to step out on the porch and feed the cats. Well I guess there is internet shopping which has gotten me in plenty of trouble in the past but lately I haven't even been tempted.
Finally here it is. My finished top. Complete with borders! I seem to stall every time when it comes to borders so this is a big deal. LOL! I enjoyed this project very much and hope Judy will be doing another sometime in the future. I used nickel squares for my pieces so I upped my block size to 14". This makes the finished quilt about 78" X 92". I think, don't have my figures in front of me and I'm too lazy to go up front and check. Anyway a good full-size top. This will be for my oldest niece, Debbie for her birthday next year. Many of the fabrics were from dresses Mama made her when she was a child so I'm hoping it will be a nice memory quilt for her.
I've decided all the nieces/nephews get their quilts for their birthdays next year. These will go to a LA to be quilted. I've decided the money I'm saving on fabric and books, and stuff can go to a quilter since it's obvious I'm not going to get them done myself. It's just too hard on my arms and shoulders and back to even think about trying to quilt a large quilt on my little machine.
I mentioned I seem to stall out on borders. So that's what I'm going to focus on this week. I have 4 or 5 tops sitting in my sewing room with the border fabric with them just waiting to be applied. So this afternoon I pulled one and got the borders put on. Not only do I seem to stall at borders I seem to have a problem cutting them lately. I had a LOT of trouble with the borders on the hour-a-day quilt. Doesn't look too bad in the end so I guess that's okay. Then I miscut the final border for the sunflower quilt. I forgot to add the inches from the last border when I was figuring out how long they needed to be. So they were exactly 11" too short! I could have just recut those last borders but then I'm not sure I would have had enough left for the back. Or I could have just sewn another piece of the sunflower fabric in each corner - which I started to do but it would have been really obvious that I'd screwed up. Then I spyed the brown on the cutting table that I had used for the tiny inner border. Well why not just use that as cornerstones! Heck if I hadn'ta told ya'll I messed up ya'll would have probably figured I'd planned it that way all along. :-) I THINK I still have enough of the brown to do the binding. I hadn't planned to use brown in the quilt but I just didn't like the way the sunflower border looked next to the center without a separator. So I was going to use black. But then when I opened the cabinet to get some black my eye fell on my stack of browns. Hhmmmmm, maybe brown would be better with this nice fall quilt. Yep. MUCH nicer looking with the other fabrics than the black was. This is a nice size cuddle quilt. 68"X84". I originally made it for my guilds charity program. But it sure would make a nice fall quilt for the house. So I may have to dig thru my tops and find another one for the guild.
And I can't leave you without another cat photo. :-) This CAN'T be comfortable! Makes my back hurt just to look at him. But Sam seems content. :-)