Saturday, August 19, 2006

Days 16, 1,7 and 18

I'm a bit behind in my progress reports. In my defense I did get on to post one Thursday and got sidetracked with the family history lesson. :-)

Well 3 more days and NO QUILTY PURCHASES. Not even a slight temptation. But today will be a challenge as we need to go to hobby lobby to pick up a few things David needs. I will not go near the fabric. I will NOT go near the fabric. I WILL NOT GO NEAR THE FABRIC!!!

I've been working right along on my hour-a-day. Well mostly an hour. After the maraton session Tuesday I was hurting pretty good on Wed so came home from work and went to bed with a book. And by Thursday morning my back was so knotted up I could barely stand upright. So I stayed home and took full strength muscle relaxers instead of the 1/4 to 1/2 that I usually take. I slept most of the morniung but did get in 2 hours of sewing in the afternoon. 15 minutes at a time. I set a timer and made myself get up after 15 minutes and could not go back until I'd rested for at least another 15 minutes. So last night I headed back into the sewing room with my trusty timer and set it for 30 minutes. After that it was back into my recliner to check a few blogs. Then back for another 30 minutes. AT the end of each 30 minutes I was starting to get achy. So I think it's 30 minutes, then rest, then another 30 minutes, and then stop for the night for a while. Weekends I'll get in more 30 minutes sessions. I can live with this. And can always spend the rest times flipping thru quilt books or reading blogs for future inspiration.

I have all my block centers made and the block borders are assembled and in the process of being sewn onto the blocks. I think a few more days and I'll have a completed top to show. I think it's turning out really cute done all scrappy. It's really amazing to surf around the blogs and see this same pattern in so many different fabric style/color combinations. And they all look great.

I need to thank Tonya at Lazy Gal Quilting for reminding me that all projects don't have to be large enough to wrap up in. I CAN make small pieces just for the joy of working with fabric. She has a lovely little quilt posted this morning that just showcases a fun piece of fabric. And I LOVE it! I think I'll be digging for a novelty or 2 and see what I can come up with. Maybe a few of my fun, bright cat prints with some free-form "cat" words scattered about. Heck she might even make a maverick quilter out of me yet. :-)

15 comments:

Silverthimble said...

You are so right, Nancy. Sometimes it is ok to make a small project--just for the fun of it. Not so large that it becomes one of those UFOs that haunts us when we walk into our quilt studios.

Libby said...

Gotta love those small projects. Rapid gratification keeps me inspired to do other project.

Cher said...

yes, why has it taken us so long to figure out the joy of small quilts? good that you have figured out your quilting time limits-better to sew a little and more than too long and be in such pain.
I believe you can resist today! I am rooting for you to be strong Nancy.

quiltpixie said...

good to have figured out a workable time limit for your body... hope that allows you to enjoy the sewing more...

Linda C said...

Somehow it never computes to NOT making something big---guess we just need to give ourselves permission to just have fun even if there is no real purpose for the results? Should seem obvious but isn't.

You certainly have good resolve on the shopping expedition--hope it works and David can keep you away from the fabrics.

Vicky said...

You can do this, Nancy! You're our goalie! Also, I'm sure glad you posted today. I was getting ready to send out Search and Rescue. It sounds like the 30/30/30 method is working for you. I have to get up after each half hour, too, to stretch. Sometimes I push the ironing board far enough away so that I have to stand up and take a few steps to get to it.

Take care of yourself! And let us know how you did at Hobby Lobby! :)

((Hugs))

Darlene said...

I have an acquaintance who loves to chasise me for the size quilts that I make - a large variety of sizes. I make quilts so I can play with many, many fabrics; so smaller quilts means I can move on to next special bunch of fabric. This is suppose to be fun :-)

Susan said...

And how did it go at Hobby Lobby? Did you *go near the fabric*? I didn't go into Dakota Cabin Quilts, even though we were parked right outside. I looked in the windows, but I didn't go in. I knew I'd weaken if I walked through that door!

ForestJane said...

Congrats on no purchases... and hope you get to feeling better soon!

Eileen said...

Nancy,
Good for you for figuring out that you can get a lot done in 30 minutes if you feel good physically. And good for you for having the light bulb go on with Tonya's post.
Remember, slow and steady wins the race.
Hope it went well for you at Hobby Lobby. I was at a friend's shop yesterday, and I didn't even touch the fabric.

Finn said...

Hi Nancy, boy oh boy, getting older sure is fun, isn't it?? So glad you found that the "do and rest" works. I discoveded that with my back pain a while back. But for me it's about 5 minutes on my feet and about 15 of "down" time. But I slowly get things done, *VBS*
Love your countdown of the day til the challenge ends. You are doing sooooo great!!! With so many ideas and such an active brain, I know it's gotta be hard.
Thanks for all the lovely thoughts and hugs on my folks anniversary, Hugs, Finn

Shelina said...

Family history takes priority over blogging about quilt progress.
Good luck on not buying any fabric from hobby lobby.
Sorry about your back pain. Looks like you have a great plan using your timer.
Fun little quilts - whether they are postcard size that you can mail out, or trading card size you can swap with a fellow quilter, or a journal quilt, or any other size, are really fun. I enjoy making them - and trying different techniques. They have fewer rules too - don't have to turn under edges of applique, don't have to worry about washability, etc.

Tonya Ricucci said...

I'm glad you liked the penguins. I look forward to seeing what kind of fun cat novelty print project you come up with!

Jenni said...

I don't know how you can resist the fabric shops. Never fear, it is the 21st today (well it is in Australia!) You could always borrow our time zone at the end of the month if you are getting desperate...

Pam said...

Nancy, I totally agree with getting up and moving or doing something different after a 30 minute time period. I have a "sit down with no reason to get up job" that really makes my back ache at the end of the day, coming home thinking about sewing does not appeal to me! Maybe I need to get back into my "at least 15 minutes each night routine" and then get up and move around.

I am still wondering how to move the paper shredder, printer and fax machine away from my desk at the office, the firm I work for lays everything out for each branch...you have no choice where anything is. I know it is helpful when I am busy, but it sure hasn't helped me move at all!!!