Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I'm not sure what the weight limit is on an ironing board but I'm pretty sure it's been exceeded here. LOL! This is Agatha (the tortie), Sam (the immensely fat yellow one) and Fluffy (the skunk cat- as David calls him.) Linda J. wanted to see a picture of Agatha as I'd told her she was colored similarly to her Pippi. I think Pippi is probably a bit lighter colored and longer furred. Some people think Torties are ugly cats but I think Agatha's fur is actually quite handsome. I'd LOVE to have a couple yards of fabric colored like her! Her belly has quite a bit of yellow on it you just rarely see it as she's not a cat to lay upside down like most of the others will. I call her my camaflouge kittie because when the leaves are falling if she lays real still in the yard you don't see her unless she moves.

For those of you who've asked about Susan, it appears she's had a bit of computer problems. Not that I'VE heard from her. Nooooooo. She did call my husband tonight to ask him a question about partitioning her new hard drive but did she ask to speak to her baby sister? Nope. But that's okay I love her anyway. :-) Hopefully she'll see this and maybe be shamed into posting and letting us all know that she's alive. *VBG* I guess I could call but neither of us really likes to use the telephone that much. We both talk on the phone so much at work that when we get home we just would rather do anything else than talk on the phone. That's why you'll occasionally see her post a comment on my blog when I've been missing for awhile and remark that she was about to resort to the "dreaded phone". Course it's funny when one of us does call the other you can't shut us up. :-)

Have you seen the new "Chocolat" line out by Moda? I've just fallen in LOVE with it. I almost bought a group of FQs and a couple yards of a couple of the prints last weekend. Then I stopped myself. While I'm not limiting myself to not buying fabric I really don't want to buy just because it's pretty without knowing what to do with it. So I promised myself as soon as I found a pattern that I wanted to use it in I'd purchase just the yardage I need for that project with maybe 1/4 yd extra for mis-cuts and to have a bit left for my scrap bins. Well I found a pattern in a magazine this spring that I've really, really, REALLY been wanting to do but it's needs 3/4 yd of 13 different co-ordinating fabrics and I think it was 1/2 yd of another. (Susan, it's that "woven" one we both liked so much.) While I have a large stash I didn't have enough of anything that all co-ordinated well enough for this pattern. And the few times I've been to a quilt shop since I've not had the pattern with me and couldn't remember how much I needed of how many fabrics. So it's remained simmering in the back of my mind just waiting for the right fabrics to come along. While trying to find just the right pattern for the Chocolat fabrics I remembered this one. So an order will go out tomorrow for the Chocolat fabrics to make this quilt. It's funny it's not a color-line I'm normally drawn to. Think milk chocolate, caramel, vanilla cream with a touch of cherry thrown in for a punch. Fabrics like Susan is normally drawn to. Definately not my normal brights. But I just love them and can't wait to make this quilt.

Another color scheme that's been sucking me in for awhile is pink/brown. Again not my normal brights but the more I see quilts done in those colors the more I want to do one. So a few weeks ago while going around the fabshophop I ran across a nice FQ bundle in brown, another in pink, and another in neutrals. So I ordered them along with 1/2 yard of a dark raspberry for a narrow inner border and a nice brown/pink print for the outer border. And a nice brown for the back. For a total of $150+! Because this was a whim when I was filling out the order form and came to the spot where they ask what you'd like done if a fabric is short I said to cancel the whole order if any of it was short as I needed it all in the quantities ordered to complete my project. Wouldn't you know they were short the main border fabric so I got an email that per my instructions they were cancelling my order. Saved from that whim purchase. Durn it! LOL! I actually had decided I was going to use them to make a pioneer braid with each braid being 1/2 dark and 1/2 light so I'm a bit disappointed but I'll keep that thought simmering and use the money to buy the Chocolat fabric isntead. Maybe I'll just start picking up a few pink/brown/crean FQs here and there and pretty soon I'll have enough to start making braids.

Boy I don't post in forever and then here's two long, rambly posts in as many days. Guess I'd better get some sleep. Good night........

21 comments:

Cynthia said...

i have seen the "Chocolat" line by Moda but i have been very good for two months now and not ordered anything.
Pink and brown are two colors i would love to make a quilt from. I have even been wearing pink and brown together during the year.

Anonymous said...

This sounds just like I wrote it! (I normally like the brights, but I am also loving the pink/brown combo.) Etc. The only difference is that you have a photo of 3 kitties not two - right down to the girl not showing her belly! The similarities are almost creepy... & my boy cat - can camoflauge too - but with slate pavers... (I've got a slate coffee table - he loves it and tries to melt into it all the time!)

Darlene said...

Nice to see two long posts from you. I've missed your happy posts.

All three beautiful cats on the ironing board - that's too funny. And, they're quite comfortable, too. LOL

I'm very drawn to the Chocolat line also but so far I've only managed to acquire some charm packs - thank you gift from a couple of friends. It's a beautiful line - I can't wait to see what you do with it.

quiltpixie said...

that Chocolat line is gorgeous -- my problem would be using it, not simply adding it to my collection, so for now I'm resisting....

Cher said...

love the kitty photos...nice to read your check in posts and have to admit there are plenty of days when I have no time to read any blogs. I find I won't leave a comment if there are 15 already or so...seems I would just be saying what everyone else has! We all get more quilting done when we are on the computer less-but as LJ says, that balance is important-some days reading is all the quilting energy I have!

Anonymous said...

Love the cats on the ironing board! What a great quilt that would make! Thanks for the laugh, Nancy.

McIrish Annie said...

the pink/brown combo is just a short step down the slippery slide to civil war repros!! you will find lots of pinks and browns there!!

i have seen the moda chocolat and they are can definitely wreak havoc with someone on a fabric diet.

love your kitties!!

Anonymous said...

Nancy, I just recently found your blog and I really enjoy it!

I was tempted by Chocolat also. I bought one of the tin box set of swatches and a set of the woven swatches, and am going to make the little circle quilt pattern that came with the tin box set. Just a little "taste" of Chocolat... :)

The cats on the ironing board are too darn cute!

Linda C said...

Oh, thanks so much for the ironing board picture of three of your furbabies. I can see your Agatha does favor my Pippi in the tortie colorings but must have a bit more of the tabby in her with that longer hair and more white? Must make it difficult to press anything or do they vamoose when its time?

I did the pink and brown thing with the Indiana Puzzle I made for my niece but still have leftovers that I could start another. Laurie Ann's top springs to mind, doesn't it?

Libby said...

Chocolat is a beautiful line -- I have been mulling it over in my mind, too.

The kitties look quite at home on the ironing board *s*

KC Quilter said...

Three such gorgeous cats! Your Sam rivals my Natasha in the "heft" department. What is it about those lovable ole' yellow cats anyway?

Lois R. said...

I LOVE your tortie gal! I always thought torties were ugly until I fell in love with and adopted one. Now I think they are such beautiful cats. Your gal is a beauty!

Love those Moda Chocolat fabrics! My project with no real plan is several Chocolats with a bunch other fabrics thrown in to make it interesting. Can't wait to see your Chocolat quilt.

Susan said...

I simply adore your long rambly post. Just how we would talk if we were sitting together.

My book came yesterday. The "Super Simple Fat Quarter Quilts". Now I have to find the time to make another quilt top. Thanks so much for sharing that quilt with us..........

As to your ironing board. That is a wonderful picture.... My daughter made a ceremic tortie for me years ago. It sits on my hearth and guards the fireplace....... I agree. These cats have character..........

floribunda said...

so far, the ironing board is the one place that my (large orange) cat does not get to. On the other hand, he will find even the smallest scrap of fabric on my sewing table to sleep on!

Beth said...

I love the kitty picture! I have a tortie also..she could be named Groucho for the mustache, but she is named Ragamuffin instead. She looked like a ball of rags when she was tiny. I fell in love with a different Moda Christmas collection : Christmas Presence AND a quilt it was made from at the same time. Odd tho because I rarely see a quilt and say 'I want THAT quilt in THOSE fabrics" Lucky for me I bought the fabrics BEFORE I signed up for no-buy on Stashbuster....my timing in getting better!

Sweet P said...

Your cats are adorable and apparently know how to share. I guess your farbric order wasn't meant to be. As for me, I'm headed to Mardin's this weekend to purchase sashing and FQs for birthday gifts. I hope I don't find too much other farbric to bring home with me.

His Office, My Studio said...

Your 3 cats are being so nice to each other. How long will they stay on your ironing board before tehy start poking at each other?

just jenn said...

That sounds like something was pointing you to the fabric that you really want. Hint Hint!

Susan H. said...

Okay, baby girl, we are both officially resurrected from the dead. Good to see you on line again, I really have been tempted to call. Sorry I ignored you last night, I actually realized I had not spoken to you as I hung up, but just couldn't make myself redial..... Still waiting for the package with my new take along project. If you are like me, getting to the post office is one of the hardest chores I have to do. Don't have time during the week, and can't make myself get out of my pajamas early enough on Saturday....

Finn said...

Hi Nancy, what a gorgeous picture of 3 of your babies..*VBS* They do look content and very happy to be where they are..even on the ironing board.
Wonder if I'll get to that place with my Ebby. We are just finishing up our 4th week together, and I wish there was more I can do to help her along.
She is more relaxed and playful, and gives me encouragement. That and the fact that anytime I lay down(or crawl into bed) she's right there. She seems to have a radar for snooze time...*VBS* I guess just time is what it needs. Anxious to see the new fabric...Hugs, Finn

Vicky said...

I love Chocolat! I gave in the temptation and bought exactly enough for a project. I was real tempted to get more "just to have" but, nope, not gonna do it!

I laughed at your kitties! Cute, cute!

I've missed reading about all your goings-on. Hope you're feeling better really soon!

(Hugs)